Thread: My new build

My new build

It was difficult to click "submit" on this one, but I've been rolling with hardware that's mostly 10+ years old now. A 2.6 GHz (?? I don't even remember) dual core Athlon, PCIe 1.0 SATA 1 board that still has IDE plugs on it for the ancient CD RW that I can't remember the last time I used. Hell, I even had a 3.5" floppy drive that I needed to get rid of because of where the video card had to go. The only thing I'm taking from this is the 500GB rotational SATA drive just for the extra storage. Was still running XP. Now I can play something more involved than flash games!

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-Z170XP-SLI (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170
    CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K
    Heatsink: COOLER MASTER RR-212X-20PM-R1
    RAM: HyperX FURY 16GB
    Power Supply: EVGA 750W BRONZE
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 (that wasn't the purchase price at the time!)
    Case: SHARKOON BW9000
    DVD/CD RW: Some cheap ASUS drive.
    SSD: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB

Bought some parts at different times, all from Newegg and the cost after a couple extra right angle SATA cables just for good measure, rebates, discounts, a small combo deal on the board and CPU, and tax, this was just over $1k.

The RAM should be low profile enough that the heatsink doesn't hit it and pretty sure the case has just barely enough clearance for it. That'll be unfortunate in either case if not.

I'm not really into doing SLI or overclocking, but it's nice to know the option is there if I ever feel bold enough to try and the reviews on the heatsink said people have had decent temps overclocking the 6700K. The 750 supply is overkill right now, but the price was decent compared to "better" lower wattage ones. We'll see how VR pans out if it makes 2 video cards really necessary, then I'll probably have to upgrade it.

All the decent latency timings they advertise are when the RAM is overclocked at whatever frequency they're showing you it's rated for, so I decided to go with something with just the base speed and a low latency numbers across the board. Overclocked higher latency RAM seems to offer similar performance to slower lower latency, but I don't plan on doing anything memory intensive so it should be fine and don't really care to research it further.

While the GTX 960 isn't that great being in the 900 series, it's the 4GB version and I was able to get it for $160. I was rolling with a GTX 275 before this and I'm not waiting for any of the 1000s to come back in stock, so while it's not the best it's leaps and bounds better than what I had. When VR takes off I can always upgrade after prices (hopefully) come down.

I was just fascinated by the case. I feel like don't have enough to put in it to do it justice, but with the crap I've blown out of my existing full tower, all the air filters, pre-installed fans, and the ability to add a fan rack to the top is very appealing even if I don't plan on doing that any time soon. Really liking the cable management, arrangement for the drive bays, and that the USB ports on the front are upward facing.

Administrator
    IDE connections huh? I think I finally got rid of that last mb around here awhile ago myself, though I won't comment if I have XP running anywhere, cough, cough, cough, 2 old laptops that run educational software for the kids....

It lives! Heat sink was pretty big, but it fit just fine. 6 total fans running in the case between everything, but it's actually very quiet. Boots in 15 seconds from the BIOS post "everything is fine" beep.

Name:  hs.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  92.0 KB

Name:  open.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  49.0 KB

Name:  closed.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  52.8 KB

Administrator
    I have 2 of those heatsinks in my forensic workstation at work!