Thread: Review: Federal Aluminum 9mm

Review: Federal Aluminum 9mm

Well, I've been rather hesitant to buy these because, well, they're not brass. This past weekend I wanted to go blow a few rounds off and grabbed these since they were cheap.

I must say I was rather pleasantly surprised. In a mag of 15, there is a noticeable difference in weight- not much, but it was there. There were zero failure to fire, feed or eject. Granted I only went through 100 rounds, but it was a straight up 100- mag, drop, mag, drop, etc... smoking barrel and all. Fired as accurately as any target brass I've used. All in all, not what I expected, and pleasantly surprised.

The only caveat I have to add is this, I haven't tried it in any of the finikey guns, just the Beretta, aka the tank, but I'm rather impressed despite that. I'll have to try them again now.

Administrator
    Can't recall the brand, but I've run 150+ of the aluminium blue plastic coated ones through my ruger 9mm in the past with no issues. Did blow through them, wasn't sure how the coating would handle in a really hot barrel, but they were cheap and I wanted to go shooting. No issues with what I used either and since I'm not doing any reloading, wasn't too worried about not having the brass to pick up.

Let me know if you remember the brand. The Beretta has not had a hiccup with anything I've fed through it, it's a damn tank. I need to find the cheapest damn ammo I can. (Wish Walmart would ship more perfecta @ $6.99)

Administrator
    Had to go open the safe and look.... guess now that it is open I should go to the range and lighten my ammo load

Herter's Select Grade Aluminum case 9mm Luger 115 gr Total Nylon Jacket.

Not sure where it is on cost now, but it was the cheapest stuff I could find the last time I went ammo shopping.

Keep an eye out at wally world. They've been sending in that perfecta stuff and at $7/50 it's the cheapest I've run into... when I can find it. lol