Thread: CnC Router vs 3D printers

Administrator

CnC Router vs 3D printers

A lot of the same tech goes into both the home built CnC routers and home built 3D printers.

What are peoples thoughts on each? Pro's/Con's of 3d printing over CnC routing?

Administrator
    I love the idea of the 3D printer and with newer liquid ones coming out, they may be more practical:
    http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/17/c...d-3d-printing/

current 3d printing is just so slow, at least on "low" end printers that it is painful to wait for them!

They are cool and can do things that the cnc router can't, but waiting 20 mins to print something 2cm x 2 cm is painful!

Administrator
    3d printing is additive.... creating something solid from a mess faster prototyping, but not as solid...

cnc is subtractive, cutting material to form something from an already solid base... More stable/solid..

Both have their places, just depends on what you are doing...

one these days I want a cnc table for a plasma cutter capable of up to 3/4" plate. Being a mechanic with a weakness for old tractors & equipment being able to table custom cut parts would be kicking

Have a heavy duty stone fork, box blade, and single tooth sub soiler in the works for running pex for watering our grapes in the works as we speak.

Having a cutting table would make the stone fork pretty as well as functional

this list from 20 best 3d printers you find all info need about 3d printers https://www.3dprintmanual.com/best-3d-printers/

Quote Originally Posted by CJS View Post
    one these days I want a cnc table for a plasma cutter capable of up to 3/4" plate. Being a mechanic with a weakness for old tractors & equipment being able to table custom cut parts would be kicking

Have a heavy duty stone fork, box blade, and single tooth sub soiler in the works for running pex for watering our grapes in the works as we speak.

Having a cutting table would make the stone fork pretty as well as functional
    That would be pretty sweet indeed.

Administrator
    I've been looking into laser cutters/engravers. nothing that can tackle metal, but the plasma cnc looks like a viable alternative (at a much cheaper initial price). I believe one is sold, saw an ad for it but the site didn't have info on how to obtain one.. go figure