Thread: SOC Options

Administrator

SOC Options

I'm still looking for a nice small system. I'd like one with built in MMC or SATA 2 connector on it as I want to use it long term and I'm not sure I trust the SD cards for it.

Ran across a nice comparison list here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...oard_computers

I'm not specifically looking for an intel based one now since I've moved away from the whole decompiling stuff and working with D or whatever it was that just wouldn't compile nicely on a PI/ARM chipset. Now just looking for a small/cheap device to act as a conversion device for my arduino type devices for serial input. I found a way to do it with the PI, but it took a ton of hacking to get it to work, doable, but annoying. For now, just looking at a serial to usb adapter to see if I can do it with that without all the tweaking that was needed on the PI.

One benefit of doing it with a usb to serial adapter is i can then use the 5V in from that to power my arduino device. Need to go back and look at the input voltages and recommendations there, but I could also do it another way on that too if I had to, but then I'm back to hacking stuff together!

Parts are on the way though, to be tested in the near future and then start looking for a possible PI 3 replacement with built in eMMC storage or Sata 2 connections. Price starts climbing then though, so maybe just simpler to buy a tablet again..... too many options out there anymore!

Administrator
    curious what the benefit for this is over just using an old desktop?

Administrator
    3 main things:
    1. desk space. tired of old desktop systems eating up space on my workbench
    2. noise. granted most of my old systems have lousy power supplied and extra fans
    3. heat.

Now is any of that worth spending some money on, maybe, but not today