Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talk2 Whisper Node

Administrator
    Did some nice tests today with 2xAAA batteries, 1xAAA battery, power through micro USB with 5v and power through FTDI with 3.3v.

Voltage code as worked nicely.

Need to try it with some old AAA batteries that are low on juice and make sure it is showing under 3.2V/1.6V, basically actually showing me the batteries are low on juice. Want to get them down to the 0.8v and verify that the board still functions. Guess I may need to invest in a voltage regulator and change the voltage I feed into it, but one money sink at a time

Administrator
    For supplying power to it you can utilize CN1 or CN2. Or you can just directly wire up to VBAT or VIN.

CN1 = Micro USB
    CN2 = Picobade

As I didn't want to have to solder it in to vbat and gnd, I decided to look around for the picoblade connections. The maker of the board offers these on his site, and honestly, cost isn't too bad, but I didn't want to wait for it to come from AU again, though I found it at about the same cost from CH as well. Enough digging around though I was able to find the correct one on amazon as well.

For me I bought, Micro JST 1.25 2 pin cables:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For under $7, picked up 10 male and 10 female cables, so I can use them for other things as well down the road if needed.

CN1 = is supposed to be 5V, since it is coming in on USB, but VIN there can be anywhere between 3.7V and 6V per the documentation.
    CN2 = can be between 0.9V and 3.3V, so perfect for 2X AAA batteries! (the board will supposedly run as low as 0.75V, but they recommend 0.9V as the low)

Note, if you are looking to pick up the JST connector, make sure it is 1.25mm and not 2mm! There are lots of 2mm ones out there, just make sure you are getting the correct one!

Administrator
    Ok, another weekend, some free time, working on getting InfluxDB and a few other pieces installed on my old Raspberry pi 1, finally found a use for it. Oh guess I didn't post last weeks fun, but now I have 2 sensors reporting into a 3rd whispernode with some generic code to detect collisions and the server whisper node is setup to feed, via serial port into my old pi. More maybe on that setup at a later date, today is working on logging that data. For now all going to be local, though I've thought about using one of many of the cloud services out there for it as well.

Getting InfluxDB installed, following the following writeup
    http://www.aymerick.com/2015/10/07/i...pberry-pi.html

I did have to also do a install of rubygems, as it wasn't already installed.

I initially thought I needed to install gem and that did take a LONG time to install on an old pi 1, think I'll order a pi 3 while I wait...... Notes on any other tweaks I have to do will be added.

Administrator
    ah the fun

apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get install ruby (updating to something beyond 1.8.2 or whatever it was I had so I was at 1.9.3 or above for one of the fpm pieces needed)

problems when you pull an old linux distro out and haven't run updates on it in some time!

Administrator
    Ah, then there was the fact that gvm (Go Version Manager) wasn't already installed, but found this nice quick link on it:
    https://hwwong168.wordpress.com/2015...i-2-or-ubuntu/

They had a necessary tool for whatever they were ultimately installing of bison, well guess what, had to turn around and install bison next before I could get gvm to work. Note, had to look at the rest of the info to get gvm installed from there too, otherwise you end up with errors like ERROR: No Go version selected.

Downloading Go from source takes awhile to complete on an old Pi (wait I think I see a pattern here, but hey it is paid for and around).

So here is ultimately what we've done to this point:
    sudo apt-get install ruby-dev gcc bison
    sudo gem install fpm
    bash < <(curl -s -S -L https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mo.../gvm-installer)
    gvm install go1.4
    gvm use go1.4
    export GOROOT_BOOTSTRAP=$GOROOT
    gvm install go1.5

Be aware, supposedly just on pi 1, like I'm using you'll get an error trying to compile go1.5, so hopefully 1.4 still works for what I need going forward:
    ERROR: Failed to compile. Check the logs at /home/pi/.gvm/logs/go-go1.5-compile.log
    ERROR: Failed to use installed version

Tried a few other options, but 1.5 kept failing (and I didn't bother reading the compile log yet, as I had too much time while waiting around for it to build). I found that debian now has a packet for influxdb 1.0.2 and grafana, so switched over to this set of install directions:
    http://engineer.john-whittington.co....luxdb-grafana/

What does all this have to do with anything.
    1. It is great that people post different instructions out there about installs.
    2. There is always other ways to get things installed these days
    3. Old hardware, while free, may drive you crazy due to the sheer amount of time it takes things to work on it. Sometimes it is well worth a few extra bucks to upgrade it and re-shelf the old stuff!

We'll see how these new directions work out! But so far so good.

Administrator
    To get grafana installed correctly, just went to the source for the apt repository:
    http://docs.grafana.org/installation/debian/

Which sort of helped, but grafana still won't start on my rasp pi 1, found some google hits that indicates different cpu codes for the pi 1 vs 2, so have to compile from source, so back to that and gvm. Ah the fun of linux some days