Thread: Compute stick

Administrator

Compute stick

For $50 this may be the way to go:
    https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Corp-BO...qid=1480179518

All I'm looking for is an intel based, mini compute device to replace an old PC I have tools running on.

Specifically scripts to download and process things like RA files. Could just as easy setup something like that to then do BP stuff if I could get to caring again, which I doubt I will, but maybe for the next game.

Anyone tried one of this cheap intel on a stick devices? I borrowed the 1st gen one a few years ago now, but been long enough that I can't recall much on it.

Administrator
    This was my concern:
    The UGLY: Out of the box, when running Linux this device will refuse to boot without a monitor

I was really looking to run this headless, but I do have a monitor on my workbench I could put it in I think with a HDMI to DVI convertor.

Never heard of it til now. I will have to read up on it, but from the reviews not many seem to like it

Administrator
    That one was older tech as well, gen 1 with minimal ram. The gen 2 ones are better. At the end of the day, it really depends on what you are looking to utilize it for. I know even on gen 1, for a PC on a stick, something you could throw in your pocket and just use any monitor for, it wasn't bad.

Administrator
    1st gen is horrid.. we have 3 of em at work, extremely slow bootup, and didn't work out of the box without a driver update for the NIC if I recall correctly.

Plus windows updates take decades, didn't try doing anything other than simple remote desktop with them its painful

2nd gen is much better, i believe they moved away from the crappy ATOM soc...